Everything You Need to Know When Renting a Car
September 2nd, 2020 by Fix Auto USA
If you need to rent a car, it helps to plan ahead. That way, you’ll have no issues renting the car of your choice, exactly when you need it.
What to Know When Renting a Car
Key things to know when renting a car include:
1. There are several things you will need to provide before you can rent a car.
Car rental agencies are readily available, and these agencies require you to provide a valid driver’s license and an acceptable form of payment before you can rent a car. Additionally, you’ll need to meet a car rental agency’s minimum age requirements; the minimum age for renting a vehicle is usually 21 years of age, but a surcharge may be added for drivers between the ages of 21 and 24.
2. You can choose from a wide range of cars.
Rental cars vary in terms of size and style. You can choose from a variety of rental cars, including:
- Economy: These compact cars are ideal for drivers who want to keep their fuel costs low and are traveling alone or in a small group.
- Full-Size: These sedans and station wagons offer ample space and plenty of safety features, which make them excellent options for families.
- Luxury: Luxury cars include both sedans and SUVs and they offer premium features; luxury cars may be more expensive to rent than other types of cars.
- SUV: SUVs are rugged vehicles that perform well in all types of weather conditions.
- Van: Vans are terrific options for people traveling in groups of eight or more.
Explore the rental car options available. Then, you can select a rental car that offers the right combination of affordability, convenience, and safety.
3. You should learn as much as possible about your rental car.
Before you rent a car, it is important to understand the terms and conditions associated with your rental. For example, rental car agencies may charge additional fees if multiple drivers will be using the vehicle. Or, you may be subject to airport surcharges and other “hidden” fees that force you to pay more than what you expected for your rental car.
What Happens If Your Rental Car Is Damaged?
Your auto insurance policy may cover you if you rent a car. To determine if this is the case, you should contact your auto insurer before you rent a car.
Credit cards can usually be used to purchase insurance for a rental car. You can buy insurance at the time you rent your car directly from the car rental agency. There are insurance companies that offer standalone coverage for rental cars as well.
Regardless of how you insure your rental car, you should confirm that your insurance accounts for weather-related damage. If your rental car is damaged during a snow storm or other harsh weather conditions, this insurance will guarantee you are covered.
“Loss of use” coverage may be beneficial to purchase when you rent a car, too. This coverage applies if you damage your rental car; without loss of use coverage, you would be held responsible for any revenue lost while the vehicle is being repaired.
Car Rental Tips
Renting a car may seem intimidating at first. However, there are things you can do to ensure you can rent a quality car at a price that fits your budget, such as:
- Determine What You Need. Assess your car rental requirements, including the type of vehicle you want and how long you will need it. This allows you to establish criteria for your car rental.
- Evaluate Several Car Rental Agencies. Find out what car rental agencies are available, how much they charge to rent a vehicle and their vehicle rental policies. Additionally, find out if a car rental agency offers any discounts or promotions.
- Find Out What You Need to Rent a Car. Contact a car rental agency and learn about any documentation and fees associated with a vehicle rental. This allows you to get your paperwork ready and ensure you can cover the cost associated with renting a car.
Once you pick up your car rental, take care of your vehicle. When you’re ready to return it, arrive at the car rental agency on schedule and get a receipt to verify that you have returned your vehicle and all charges are final.
At Fix Auto Gambell, we want to make it simple for you to rent a car. We also offer extensive car body and collision repair services to help you fix your car as needed. If you ever need help repairing dents, dings, or other damage to your car, we’re happy to assist you. To learn more or to book an appointment, please contact us online or call us today at (907) 274-1078.
This blog post was contributed by Fix Auto Gambell, a leading industry expert and collision repair shop servicing the Anchorage area and surrounding communities.
Fix Auto USA
We are the premier independent body shop network delivering world-class customer service and high-quality collision repairs across the U.S.
Learn About Us