How to Get Rid of a Smell in Your Car
July 18th, 2020 by Fix Auto USA
You take pride in maintaining a clean, tidy car. Yet, despite your best efforts, you now notice a pungent smell that persists inside your vehicle.
No one wants a car that smells gross and disgusting. But, unusual and nauseating smells can quickly develop and make it tough to enjoy your vehicle. With the right approach to eliminate car odors, however, you can get any smell out of your car.
Want to Get a Smell Out of Your Car? Here’s What You Need to Know
To make your car smell good, you need to determine what may be causing an odor in the first place.
Ultimately, there are many reasons why smells may develop in your car, such as:
- Defective Air Conditioner: Moisture collects in your car’s cold air-conditioning evaporator. Over time, this can lead to mold and mildew, along with a musty smell.
- Malfunctioning Catalytic Converter: If your car’s catalytic converter malfunctions or stops working, it may cause a rotten egg smell.
- Electrical Problems: Short circuits and overheated electrical components may result in a smell that resembles burnt toast.
- Clutch Issues: Frequently stepping on the clutch while you’re on the road can cause significant friction. This can also create heat that burns the clutch’s paper-based facings, resulting in a burnt paper smell.
- Brake Pad Damage: If your car’s brake pads are overheating or you inadvertently drive with the hand brake on, you may notice a burnt carpet smell that emanates throughout your vehicle.
If you detect a foreign smell in your car, it is generally good to err on the side of caution. Rather than mask the smell with an air freshener, get your car checked out by automotive professions. You can then have your car inspected and repaired at the same time find out how to make your car smell good both now and in the future.
Tips to Get Rid of Smells in Your Car
When it comes to finding ways to get a smell out of your car, it pays to be diligent. Whenever an odd smell is present in your car, it is usually a warning sign that your vehicle is not running properly. When it gets to this point, you should take your car to a team of automotive experts who can help you diagnose and correct the issue.
Remember, there is no such thing as a quick-fix to address a strange smell in your car. Although you may want to figure out how to make your car smell good right away, it is important to realize that even the best car odor eliminator won’t resolve issues that affect your car’s engine or other components.
On the other hand, taking your car to an automotive repair shop offers an excellent option to remove unwanted smells from your vehicle. At an auto repair shop, car experts will evaluate your vehicle while detecting and resolving any problems. They can also offer tips and recommendations to improve your car’s performance and prevent issues down the line. Best of all, these experts can provide insights to ensure that you can keep your car smelling great day after day.
This blog post was contributed by Fix Auto Fox Valley a leading industry expert and collision repair shop servicing all customers in Fox Valley, and Northern Illinois neighborhood.
Fix Auto USA
We are the premier independent body shop network delivering world-class customer service and high-quality collision repairs across the U.S.
Learn About Us